What is Child Sexual Exploitation

Child sexual exploitation (CSE) is when young people under the age of 18 are encouraged, trapped, forced or coerced into a sexual relationship or situation by an adult.

CSE often involves the young person being offered something in return for performing sexual acts, such as alcohol, cigarettes, gifts, money, drugs or affection and a sense of belonging.

More information can be found on the following websites:

Hampshire Constabulary’s website and Portsmouth Safeguarding children website.

Childline – Information and free confidential phone counselling for under 19s about sex and relationships.

NSPCC – Help and advice for adults and children who are concerned about the wellbeing of a child they know.

CEOP website  – Report CSE on a secure online form and access support and advice on how and when to report concerns.

Barnardo’s – Support for children and families who have been affected by CSE.

ThinkUKnow – Easy to understand advice on keeping safe for children aged 5-14+.

Internet Watch Foundation – UK internet hotline for anyone to report online child sexual abuse imagery and non-photographic child sexual abuse images anonymously.

CSE – Help available in Portsmouth

If you think a child or young person is at risk of sexual exploitation or would like to know more about Child Sexual Exploitation and the support we can offer to young people and professionals please contact: Barnardo’s U-Turn and FCASE (Families and Communities Against Sexual Exploitation)

Tel: 01489796684

For more information take a look at the following leaflets:

Spot the signs for professionals

Spot the signs for parents

You can find out more about local Procedures on the Portsmouth Safeguarding Children’s Board website.

Reporting Child Sexual Exploitation

Find out more about what and how to report suspected child sexual exploitation on the CEOP website 

There is a secure online reporting form on the website and lots of advice available. If there is immediate danger to yourself or to anyone else please always call 999.